Friday, October 9, 2009

Winding down for the season.

The snap peas are about 3.5' tall; no sign of flowers yet. We are expecting the first frost this weekend, so am anticipating covering them.

The turnips and white beets are doing very well... in fact the turnip greens are so huge that they're covering the red beets in the next row, from which I am now expecting not much.

Delicata squash: Harvesting a total of eight, seven of which are cut from the vine and curing outside for a few weeks prior to a move to the garage. The eighth squash was invaded in the middle by some creature, and rendered unusable. For future squash plantings, I have GOT to get off my butt sooner and have vertical support ready for them when they need it (not after).

All four pepper plants are still doing well, though the mini bell never seemed to really gear-up into production. The orange and green bell peppers did very well once the floods stopped and some decent late-summer heat kicked-in. The cayenne is doing OK, but was shaded by the green pepper as well as an aggressive borage I let grow in the tomato bed to attract bees. If the forecast for frost holds true, I'll pull the peppers this weekend, but I still need to decide if I'm going to try to over-winter one of them.

Still have to figure out how to prune the grapevines, or next season's harvest will be even smaller than this one. Also on the to-do list: order garlic to get in the ground between Halloween and Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment