Since the tomatoes were all weird this year, and many held on to the plants, I did the squooshing in just one session. From the squeezin's, I estimate that I'll get 6-7 quarts of sauce. Won't try any paste this year, nor am I making any stewed tomatoes or anything with pieces.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Siberian x1: Third and final year. Just not a good producer for me. Every tomato was small and scarred. Vegetation sparse and gangly.
Opalka x1: Prolific producer of bowling-pin shaped fruit, which held on tight to the plant this year, Also the most vigorous growing plant. After it topped the cage, I let it trail out to the sides on top of the adjacent cages... would have hit at least 8' vertically.
Viva Italia x2: Decent sized plant and adequate fruit, but subject to a LOT of blossom end rot.
Roma x3: In the end, not sure they were all Roma. One was for sure, since I started it from seed from a packet. The other 2 were from a store bought 3-pack, but their form was much more like an Amish Paste; lots of fruit but lots of disease. The Roma-for-sure was very prolific.
Sugar Sweet x1: Exceptionally prolific, very sweet, VERY subject to splitting. Hardly used any.
------------------------------------------------------------
The Roma and Oplaka I started early from seed was very healthy, very bushy, very productive plants. Given how cool and wet this year was, they seemed to appreciate the good start. Throughout the midwest, all tomato growers had problems this spring/summer.
Tobacco: Positioned the tobacco-in-container next to the Roma at the west end of "Tomato Row". Possibility that since tobacco and tomatoes share some diseases that my maters were more apt to get hit. Will try tobacco next year on south side of house, and hope I didn't do anything permanent.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment